The Mauritius Oceanography Institute (MOI) representing the Regional Implementation Centre for the THEMA on Marine and Coastal Management is the focal point for the MESA programme execution in the South West Indian Ocean Region. The two main services using satellite ocean observation data that are being developed concern:
- Marine Resources Management
- Monitoring of Coastal Environment
The project is led by Mr. E. Martial with the support of a technical team consisting of Dr. Francois Wernerus (Key Expert), Mr. J. I. Mosaheb, Mr. V. Ramchandur, Dr. D. Bissessur, Dr. A Rawat, Dr. H. Runghen, Mr. O. Gooroochurn, Mr. O. Sadasing and Ms. K. Modoosoodun; and a finance and administration team comprising of Mrs. R. Sobha, Mrs. N. Mudhoo and Ms. R. Boyjoonauth. The implementation of the MESA IOC THEMA is under the overall supervision of the Officer in Charge of the MOI.
The Indian Ocean Commission thematic action is being implemented with the support and collaboration of the various stakeholders from the participating countries. The National Institutions listed below will be called upon to contribute fully as far as satellite data processing, Earth Observation data usage and interpretation are concerned to ensure the subsequent transfer of MESA Services at National Level.
- Madagascar : Centre de surveillance des Pêches (Direction Générale de la Pèche et des Ressources Halieutiques), Institut Halieutique et des Sciences Marines and Madagascar Meteorological Service
- Comoros : Centre National de Contrôle et Surveillance des Pêches
- Seychelles: Seychelles Fishing Authority and Ministry of Environment
- Mauritius: Albion Fisheries Research Institute, Ministry of Environment and Mauritius Meteorological Service
- Mozambique : Instituto de Investigacao Pesqueira
- Kenya: Kenya Marine Fisheries Research Institute
- Tanzania: Tanzania Fisheries Research Institute